Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Stanley Cup is 8 Wins Away!!!!

All I can say is WOW!!! These playoffs have been riveting. My picks from the last round were 3 and 1...I was wrong with the Rangers beating the Sabres. That's ok...it puts me at 9 and 3 so far in this year's playoffs which ain't too bad.

Some highlights in the last round...
  1. Nabokov's puck clearing attempt right onto Datsyuk's stick which susequently went into the net in game 4.
  2. Ottawa's game 1 mastery of Brodeur by scoring 4 goals in the 1st period right over his glove hand.
  3. Chris Chelios is now getting 25 to 30 minutes of ice time...and he's 45 years old!!!!
  4. Observing the mastery in Anaheim...The Niedermayer brothers...Chris Pronger...Teemu Selanne...JS Giguere. They are firing on all cylinders and are amazing to watch.

Again...I'm sure there's plenty more but that's all I can think of right now. Please feel free to send me some of your 2nd round highlights.

Well...on with the picks.

In the East

Ottawa Senators vs Buffalo Sabres (Ott in 6) -> These 2 teams have a history together and it's not pretty. However I think cooler heads will prevail in the playoffs. The winner advances to the Stanley Cup Final so there will be no room for costly penalties. Both of these teams will bring a dynamic offensive punch and posses an equally effective defensive game. Their goaltending has proven to be exceptional both in the regular season and so far in the playoffs. However, I believe that the Sens are rolling 4 solid lines and everyone is contributing both physically and on the scoresheet. If we haven't seen the Sabres best game yet then I may be proven wrong but they haven't really been tested the way Ottawa will test them. My pick is Ottawa in 6 games.

In the West

Detroit Red Wings vs The Anaheim Ducks (Anaheim in 6) -> Anaheim is the strongest team right now...The defensive pairing of Pronger and Niedermayer may well be the best in the league. Up front Selanne, Pahlsson and Getzlaf are playing like men possessed. Guigere is also having a dynamite playoff season. Detroit's battered and bruised right now and depending heavily on 45 yr. old Chelios and Lidstrom to carry the defensive weight due to injuries to Schneider and Kronwall. Detroit has had the toughest battle to get here...first Calgary then San Jose whereas Anaheim had an easier road going through Minnesota and then Vancouver. However I feel that the strength and depth of this Anaheim team will take them by Detroit in 6 games.

That being said you should see Ottawa and Anaheim in the final. Smart money would stick with Anaheim but we'll see how the injuries accumulate over this round.

Enjoy the conference finals....should be extrememly entertaining!!!

CHEERS!!!

The Rokpig

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Rolly,
Glad to see you jumped on the SENS bandwagon. You had counted them out in round one like a true leaf fan! Go SENS Go.

ROKPIG said...

Well Bill...I'm not a Leaf's fan I'm a Bruins fan. And I'm not jumping on their bandwagon as much as I'm looking at the 2 teams playing and picking who I think will win. According to your thinking then I'm also jumping on the Anaheim bandwagon!!! You should stick to women's volleyball!!!

CHEERS!!!
The Rokpig

Anonymous said...

Hey Rolly,, What a terrific game that was last night!!! Just when you think you have watched the best hockey you have ever seen, they turn it up a notch or two and it gets even better. I think you are right on with your prediction for the Sens.
I agree. Tell Bill to stick with womens beach volleyball. See you later. Leigh.