Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Start Your Engines!!!

Ahhh...the sweet smell of spring is in the air which can only mean one thing...the STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS are about to start!!! This is real hockey...rough and tough hockey...not for the faint of heart. The hitting, the fighting, the passion...and that's just the fans in living rooms and bars across the country!!! Watching the games can be harmful if you have high blood pressure or if you're wearing the wrong jersey at the wrong bar!! I have some hazy memories of being in Montreal a few years ago in a sports bar wearing my Bruins jersey. I guess it didn't help that Boston was actually winning the game and I was telling anyone who would listen how much the Habs sucked!!! That was a rough night but I survived...unfortunately Boston didn't and lost the series after being up 3-0!!! It's tough to be a Bruin's fan I tell ya!!!

As the final weeks of this season were drawing to an end I couldn't help but notice the amount of idiocy happening in the NHL.

  1. Mark (Darth Vader) Bell from Toronto taking out 2 of Ottawa's stars and not even being challenged! The hit on Alfie was clean (according to the NHL rules) but the team should have made him pay. This shows a lack of support within the club. Something stinks in the dressing room and it ain't coming from their hockey bags.
  2. Boston playing Ottawa and neither are gauranteed playoff births. Boston needs the win and Ottawa needs one point. Ottawa loses but thanks to Jaques Martin and the Florida Panthers beating 3rd seed Carolina, Ottawa gets in anyway!!!
  3. Pittsburgh played Philadelphia on Sunday. If Pittsburgh wins they get 1st place in the conference which allows them home ice advantage in each round. They would also face Philadelphia in the 1st round. They don't like playing the physical style that Philly brings so they throw the game in order to face a much softer Ottawa team. If I was Bryan Murray that news item would be on the bulletin board in the dressing room and used for motivation. That alone might help Ottawa win one game...maybe!!!

It seems that there's at least one idiot a week in the NHL...my vote this week goes to Bryan Murray. When the Leafs were taking their liberties with the Senators he should've sent a message. If the players didn't feel compelled to stand up for their captain then Bryan Murray should've lit a fire under their collective asses!!!

Let me know what you think!! If you have an opinion for who the NHL idiot of the week is let me know! I've got a plan that should be fun...something along the lines of a voodoo doll and Super Dave Osborne!!! I'll keep you posted.

Before I leave I must share my picks for the 1st round...if you win any money with these just remember, I like Molson Canadian!!!

East

  1. Montreal vs Boston -> Boston in 7
  2. Pittsburgh vs Ottawa -> Pittsburgh in 5
  3. Washington vs Philly -> Washington in 6
  4. New Jersey vs Rangers -> New Jersey in 7

West

  1. Detroit vs Nashville -> Nashville in 7
  2. San Jose vs Calgary -> San Jose in 5
  3. Minnesota vs Colorado -> Minnesota in 6
  4. Anaheim vs Dallas -> Anaheim in 4

If you think I'm crazy and want to know why I picked the teams I did...email me and I'll let you know the method to my madness!!

That's it for now...I'll be back next week...enjoy the 2nd season!!!

CHEERS!!!

The Rokpig!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Montreal in 5
Pitts in 5
N.J in 6
Wash in 7

You have pipe dreams thinking Boston in 7